Had a cycling accident? We can help.

An estimated 20,000 cyclists were injured on Britain's roads in 2015. Although cyclists are more likely to be seriously injured than other road users, many cycling accidents are unreported.

Cycling Injury Legal are here to help injured cyclists find information, legal guidance and support for their recovery.

We are not only here to help you seek compensation for your injuries - we also help with the recuperation process as you get back to your pre-accident self.

Whether you have been injured as a result of a pothole, poor road maintenance or another road user's negligence, we can help.

First steps

Knowing where to begin with a legal claim following an accident can be a daunting prospect. Many potential claimants find themselves overwhelmed with information and simply don't know where to start.

The first step is to explain what happened to a solicitor or claims expert. Injured people may be deterred from taking this initial step for reasons including:

  • The stigma of making a claim - Read more
  • They have already been approached by the other side's insurance company - Read more
  • They believe they may be partially to blame - For example, by not wearing a helmet, or riding on the pavement
  • They don't think their injuries are severe enough - Such as a wrist injury that recovers within a few months

A solicitor should not charge anything for an initial consultation. After your phone consultation, you will know exactly what your options are, and how best to proceed.

For more information see: Do I have a claim?

What can I claim compensation for?

You can claim compensation for the pain and suffering you have experienced as a result of your injury, and for the financial costs you have incurred. These two components of your compensation award or settlement are referred to as 'general damages' and 'special damage'.

General Damages

General damages are calculated based on a table of recommended compensation awards for different injuries, and are awarded to the claimant for the pain, suffering and loss of amenity they have experienced as a result of the injury.

If you have been knocked off your bike and sustained a serious leg fracture, for example, you may be awarded up to approximately £9,000 in general damages. If the fall resulted in a minor wrist injury, general damages may be calculated as around £3,000.

Special Damages

Special damages frequently include lost wages, expenses like treatment costs, including physiotherapy, and travel expenses to and from hospital appointments. They may also include compensation for changes that must be made to an injured person's living arrangements, if, for example, the installation of ramps in the home of a claimant that requires the use of a wheelchair following their injuries.

If your bicycle has been damaged beyond repair, and you are unable to make an insurance claim, you can also claim for the cost of a replacement.

Cycling Injury Legal have a wealth of experience in dealing with the nuances of making a cycling injury claim. For more information see: What can I claim compensation for?

Am I entitled to make a cycling injury claim?

If you were injured, or became aware of your injury, in the last 3 years, following a cycling accident that was not your fault, you may be entitled to make a claim.

Most injuries sustained in a bike accident are obvious at the scene, however certain conditions, such as epilepsy, may be brought on as the result of a head injury, and the relationship between the accident and the epilepsy may not be immediately apparent.

In other cases, the trauma of a collision with a road vehicle can accelerate the onset of future health conditions such as arthritis in wrists or knees. Read more.

One exception to the 3 year limit. A parent or guardian can claim on behalf of a child under 18 years old, even if the accident occurred longer than 3 years ago.

Even if you feel you may have been partially to blame for the accident, you may still be able to make a claim. See What if I was partially to blame?

For more details of the criteria that are considered when making a claim see : Can I make a claim?

How much compensation can I claim?

General Damages compensation is calculated with reference to a set of guidelines published annually by the Judicial College. These tables are referred to by personal injury solicitors, insurance companies and the courts in assessing the amount of general damages that should be awarded.

In addition 'Special Damages' can be awarded to cover loss of earnings, any financial losses such as the cost of a replacement bike, and any other out of pocket expenses.

Do I keep all of the compensation award?

Many people sign a no win no fee agreement without focusing on the 'Win- Fee' aspect. Most solicitors charge a 25% success fee which is paid out of a deduction from the compensation settlement. 25% is the maximum that can be charged legally but it has established itself as the norm. As part of the Quittance Personal Injury Network we are able to pass on significantly better success fees enabling claimants to retain more of their compensation.

For more information see: Calculate how much compensation I can claim?

Who is a cycling claim made against?

Typically claims are pursued against another road user whose negligence contributed in full, or in part, to a cyclist's injury. Cases against car and lorry drivers, other cyclists, pedestrians, cycle repair shops other cyclists

Another road user

If you were injured in a collision with a negligent driver, you may be able to make a claim against them directly. Road users are required by law to carry insurance, and so your compensation would be paid by the driver's insurance provider.

The Local Council or Highway Authority

If your injuries were the result of the state of the road or other hazards that a public body or contractor is responsible for, such as a pothole or raised drain cover, your claim would be made against the council or Highway Authority at fault.

An unknown party

If you were injured in a hit-and-run, or if the party responsible for your injuries is uninsured, a claim may be submitted to the Motor Insurers' Bureau (MIB). The MIB was set up to ensure road users, including cyclists and pedestrians, had a means to receive compensation for injuries inflicted by uninsured and untraceable drivers.

How long does a claim usually take?

Cycling claims, as with the majority road traffic accident claims, are handled through the Pre-Action Protocol. The defendant's insurer has 15 days to respond with an admission of liability. A medical report will be produced, and once this information is sent to the defendant in a 'settlement pack', the defendant has 15 days to make an offer. Negotiations will usually continue for up to 20 days, with some exceptions. Following agreement between the parties, the settlement will be paid.

If the defendant contests liability, fails to respond, or the parties cannot agree on a settlement, the claim may 'fall out' Court proceedings may commence.

The matter may end up in court which will protract the case - however the vast majority of cases are settled out of court.

How to start a claim

The first step is speaking to a solicitor who will give you an honest and impartial assessment of your chances of making a successful claim. To speak to an expert call 0800 612 2874 or request a call back here.